Operation: Overkill World HQ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2017, 09:14:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Be sure and visit Operation Overkill World HQ!
1069 Posts in 251 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Lord Blackfair
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Operation: Overkill World HQ
|-+  Operation: Overkill Internet Server
| |-+  OOIS Feature Discussion
| | |-+  Action combat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Action combat?  (Read 9325 times)
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2002, 08:01:32 am »

Okay, I'll start this one off on the right foot ...

Given the lag issue with the internet, should action combat stay or go?

(I'm not going to influence this just yet, I want to see where you guys go with it.)

- Tarix

Cheshirecat
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 01:55:14 pm »

Action combat should stay.  I find that it works for me most of the time, and I have the option of switching modes, if it's not working.  Action gives you better stats than random.  The random seems to give the edge to the creature, rather than to the player.  I've had tremendous stats, but missed totally on weak creatures when the mode is set to random.  For the last few days, I've set my action to random, so I can have another window open and do other things while my OOII character kills creatures.  My stats on accuracy have gone from 95%, which wasn't particularly high after missing on purpose to find the Oracle, to about 87%.  Even with my dexterity extremely high on the game, random doesn't give an edge.
 Sad

hessy Cat
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 03:43:17 pm »

Quote from: "Cheshirecat"
Action combat should stay.  I find that it works for me most of the time, and I have the option of switching modes, if it's not working.

Being able to switch back and forth between combat rounds helps a lot.  I think it probably will stay and I'll try and make it very clear to new users how it works and when to switch it.

Action gives you better stats than random.  The random seems to give the edge to the creature, rather than to the player.

When looking at a lot of the combat ... I saw some flaws.  I haven't made many changes yet, but the random combat in OOIS is already much improved over the original door game.  Since there is no action combat yet it gave me a great oppertunity to balance the random combat and to give it a more modern feel.  (OOII is a pretty harsh game compared to some modern online games.)

In any case once you get to play OOIS I'd like to see if you feel that it's any better.

- Tarix

mindphaser
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 12:12:26 pm »

I'd rather see an alternative to Action Based called Statistics based.   "Random" kind of defeats the purpose of training....(I'm with Cheshire in the fact that it seems to favor the creatures more often then not).  In either case I'm a big fan of Action Based fighting.  

-mp
Tarix
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 07:29:38 am »

Quote from: "mindphaser"
I'd rather see an alternative to Action Based called Statistics based.   "Random" kind of defeats the purpose of training....(I'm with Cheshire in the fact that it seems to favor the creatures more often then not).  In either case I'm a big fan of Action Based fighting.  

Random is statistically based.  Hits are largly a function of his dexterity vs yours.  Once a hit is determined other modifiers are used to calculate the amount of damage taken.

Also, I should mention that random combat in OOIS is completely rewritten.  I found that the OOII method of random combat wasn't really fair or accurate.  The current OOIS system slightly favors the player.

I'm also up for adding more complicated models.  For example there could be a luck factor and a desperation factor.  (Luck just means occasionally you'll score a hit regardless and desperation is increasing the chances of a hit each time you miss.)

mindphaser
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 02:13:15 pm »

Quote from: "Tarix"
I'm also up for adding more complicated models.  For example there could be a luck factor and a desperation factor.  (Luck just means occasionally you'll score a hit regardless and desperation is increasing the chances of a hit each time you miss.)

That would be pretty interesting.  It'd also be neat if you could build your own weapon, or upgrade a weapon.  IE add a scope, modify the trigger, or change what amunition it can fire.  Which could add to the modifiers like +1 to damage or +1 to hit etc.  I'd also like to see what min/max damage a weapon could do, and what AC the armor is.  It bugs me that there are no stats for them.  Of course I also like variety,  which means I'd also like to see some unique weapons that do serious damage.

What I'm really looking for is a cat 'o nine tails made out of steel chains.  Sure I might need a 40 strength just to use it, but it'd be fun Smiley

-MP
Blazewarrior
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 10:33:52 pm »

Okay, I'll start this one off on the right foot ...

Given the lag issue with the internet, should action combat stay or go?

(I'm not going to influence this just yet, I want to see where you guys go with it.)

- Tarix

As I've blabbed about CONSTANTLY on this forum, I'm working on a game, inspired by the great BBS games of yesteryear.

I'm planning to make it a MMOG, albeit a small-scale one.  I have been tinkering a lot with the idea of an action-style combat, but my game has 5-player/npc parties, so imagine playing Final Fantasy 2, and using Action Combat instead of random...that's kinda how the combat system in my game will be.  The combatants take turns, and can use action-style combat, but if they hesitate too long on a response, they game assumes they missed, so there's no going afk to avoid a death blow.

Maybe something like that would work in OOIS?  I'm still not sure how the multi-player thing will go, will it be one at a time with a timelimit, or all at once with or without a time limit?  I'd love to see a MMOG OO game (MMOGOO!)

I'll post a link to my game when it's done, or at least when it's playable.  I'm almost 90% done with the editor, just a few features left to implement, like creating random monster types, NPCs, and player-owned things like bases and vehicles/mecha/ships.

Other than that, the editor is finished, and I almost got high on pure joy earlier tonight when I made a map in it, and saved everything,
loaded it all back up, and realized I actually managed to squash all the obvious bugs and fix no less than 5 or 6 buggy subroutines in one sitting.

Sorry to ramble off-topic, I tend to type 170-180 wpm and get caught up in the moment sometimes Tongue
My point to all of this was the multi-player action combat thing for player vs player combat with both players online.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: